Over the past month or so, I’ve gotten a tremendous amount of feedback from fans. A lot of our fans are game designers themselves and have submitted incredibly detailed, thoughtful ideas. I also got a chance to speak with some great game designers about Empire at the Practice: Game Design in Detail conference last month, at which I was lucky enough to be a speaker.
Over that time, I’ve been working hard on a big set of rule changes. I’ve been looking at what the fundamental purpose of different things in the game are, questioning and re-questioning stuff from different angles. Just from playing, I think most players would agree that the combat is much more fun and interesting than the overmap, and this is something I’m working hard to improve. Interestingly, the solution is to both make the overmap “less of a thing” – to make it lighter and involve less busy work (particularly, hitting next-turn), and also at the same time making the overmap more interesting (each choice means more). So I guess a way to describe it is that it will become less granular.
Most of these changes won’t be in the 1.2 patch that just went out. 1.2 is a small patch that is trying out just a few of the features from the eventual big patch. Next month, we plan on diving into the really big 1.3 patch, which will involve some major changes to how monsters work, how buildings work, and other things. For now, we’re cleaning stuff up a lot, and adding more context from battle to battle by having units preserve their health between battles.
Onto the patch changes! Remember to come discuss them with us on the forums!
- Warriors have 4 HP.
- Cavalry have 6 HP.
- Archers have 3 HP.
- Your units no longer heal between battles.
- There is no longer a cap on unit deaths and strife cards in a battle.
- Reduced the starting Strife for all characters by 2.
- All emperors now start with 1 warrior, 1 cavalry and 1 archer.
- The War Chief:
+1 Action Card to choose from after a battle.
Warriors have +2 Health.
- The Senator:
Keeps destroy 3 Strife Cards.
Units regain +1 Health after every battle.
- The Wizard:
Killing a unit gives him a redraw.
Unique card: Meteor.
- Archer Take Cover now only allows you to move your archer behind a warrior or cavalry.
- Archers Shift has become Shift and allows you to move all units of a picked type up or down 1 tile. You get redraws depending on the amount of units of that type you have.
- Savage blows is no longer unique but gives +1 damage instead of double damage.
- Bounty card is no longer unique, but gives 25 materials instead of 30.
- Resurrected units now have 2 HP instead of 1.
- The base minimum number of monsters in a battle is 4 instead of 3.
- The minimum number of monsters you will meet in a battle now also scales with the turns. This rule only affects situations where you kill monsters but don’t destroy the monster nest.
- Super monsters now have +1 HP.
- When having to select a new card, you can see how many cards of that type you already have.
- Description of Feast and Academy have some improvements.